SHIRE OF CAMPASPE
"Campaspe" – Greek mistress of Alexander the Great. Alexander gave Campaspe to his favourite painter Apelles as a present.
Named by Major Sir Thomas L Mitchell on 5 October 1836 on his way through to Mount Macedon, after Alexander the Great's concubine.
Echuca, an aboriginal name meaning "Meeting of the Waters" is indicative of the role rivers have played in the town's existence. Echuca is situated close to the junction of the Goulburn, Campaspe and Murray Rivers.
Echuca was founded by one of the most enterprising characters of the early colonial days, an ex-convict named Henry Hopwood. In 1850 he bought a small punt which operated across the Murray River near the Campaspe junction. The relatively small settlement known as "Hopwood's Ferry" became Echuca as the town grew.
More information: Echuca Historical Society, Dickson Street, Echuca (PO Box 451, Echuca 3564) 03 5480 1325
Derived from aboriginal word Kiambram meaning "Thick Forest".
More information: Kyabram and District Historical Society, PO Box 758, Kyabram, 3620
or refer to further information as provided at below link
Dr John Pearson Rowe set up accommodation for the many drovers and prospectors passing through the district. In 1854, the settlement about his hotel was known as "Rowe's Camp" which after being named "Rowechester" in the township survey, was later in 1855, gazetted as the traditionally English "Rochester".
More information: Rochester Historical and Pioneer Society, C/- 111 High Street, Rochester, 3561
Named by Edward Mickelthwaite Curr (1820-1889) in 1841 where he held a station. Aboriginal name for local section of Murray River.
More information: Tongala Family History Group, C/- Mrs Bev Williams, Scobie Road, Kyvalley 3561
Aboriginal name meaning "Resting Place", situated approximately 9 kms north east of Rochester.
The area was originally part of the Restdown Station and was then known as Bamawm East. With the introduction of irrigation in 1910 the large holdings were taken over and subdivided into small holdings.
Aboriginal name meaning "Windy".
Before being open for selection Bamawm had been part of Restdown and Wharparilla Station runs. In 1872, 60 blocks were selected for sale.
Situated approximately 14 kms from Rochester, the paradise of the native companion was so called by the aboriginals because of the peculiar cry of these birds – "Kor-Rop".
James Cooper was the first white man to settle in Corop. He took up Burramboot Station in 1841, and it is in memory of this pioneer that Lake Cooper was named. Lake Cooper was known by the aborigines as "Paboinboolok" (shallow sheet of water).
Situated approximately 24 kms north west of Rochester. Three of the blocks on which Lockington is built were originally known as Archibalds. The fourth block, on which the railway station is situated was originally known as Piordins later known as Joyces.
Before irrigation, Lockington and district was a wheat growing area, and was then known as Bamawm. The first Government subdivision sale of town allotments was held in 1921, and subsequent allotments of the Joyce and Archibald estates were sold in 1923.
The name Lockington came from a locality north west of Hull, England.
More information: Lockington & District Living Heritage Centre, Market Street, Lockington, 03 5486 2515
Nanneella is the aboriginal name for "Sandy Ground".
In 1870 Patrick McCurry came from Kyneton and selected 320 acres. He was the first settler to bore for and strike water. Nanneella was then a forest with aborigines and kangaroos.
Tennyson was first called Pannoomilloo West. The late James Steen was responsible for it being altered to Tennyson.
WYUNA Waioona "clear water".
KOYUGA Plain in the forest
TIMMERING Derived from "Tinara" meaning "kangaroo".
CARAG CARAG Derived from "Carrak" meaning "magpie".
MOUNT SCOBIE Named after Mitchell Forbes Scobie (1817-18610) who was not only the first man to occupy the Wyuna pastoral run but was the first squatter in the Western Goulburn Valley.
COLBINABBIN Meeting of the red and black soils
RUSHWORTH "Gold & Ironbark" town
English poet, Richard Hengist "Orion" Horne, as Junior Assistant Gold Commissioner at Waranga goldfields, is credited with naming Rushworth in 1854, either because it was a "rush worth while", or perhaps, after travelling with Henry and Rose Rushworth, fellow passengers on the sailing ship "Kent" from England.