Where our community names were derived from
SHIRE OF CAMPASPE
"Campaspe" – Greek mistress of Alexander the Great. Alexander gave Campaspe to his favourite painter Apelles as a present.
Named by Major Sir Thomas L Mitchell on 5 October 1836 on his way through to
Echuca, an aboriginal name meaning "Meeting of the Waters" is indicative of the role rivers have played in the town's existence. Echuca is situated close to the junction of the Goulburn, Campaspe and
Echuca was founded by one of the most enterprising characters of the early colonial days, an ex-convict named Henry Hopwood. In 1850 he bought a small punt which operated across the
More information: Echuca Historical Society,
Derived from aboriginal word Kiambram meaning "
More information: Kyabram and District Historical Society,
or refer to further information as provided at below link
Dr John Pearson Rowe set up accommodation for the many drovers and prospectors passing through the district. In 1854, the settlement about his hotel was known as "Rowe's Camp" which after being named "Rowechester" in the township survey, was later in 1855, gazetted as the traditionally English "
Named by Edward Mickelthwaite Curr (1820-1889) in 1841 where he held a station. Aboriginal name for local section of
More information: Tongala Family History Group, C/- Mrs Bev Williams,
Aboriginal name meaning "
The area was originally part of the Restdown Station and was then known as Bamawm East. With the introduction of irrigation in 1910 the large holdings were taken over and subdivided into small holdings.
Aboriginal name meaning "Windy".
Before being open for selection Bamawm had been part of Restdown and Wharparilla Station runs. In 1872, 60 blocks were selected for sale.
Situated approximately 14 kms from
James Cooper was the first white man to settle in Corop. He took up Burramboot Station in 1841, and it is in memory of this pioneer that
Situated approximately 24 kms
Before irrigation, Lockington and district was a wheat growing area, and was then known as Bamawm. The first Government subdivision sale of town allotments was held in 1921, and subsequent allotments of the Joyce and Archibald estates were sold in 1923.
The name Lockington came from a locality
More information: Lockington & District Living Heritage Centre,
Nanneella is the aboriginal name for "Sandy Ground".
In 1870 Patrick McCurry came from Kyneton and selected 320 acres. He was the first settler to bore for and strike water. Nanneella was then a forest with aborigines and kangaroos.
Tennyson was first called Pannoomilloo West. The late James Steen was responsible for it being altered to Tennyson.
WYUNA Waioona "clear water".
KOYUGA Plain in the forest
TIMMERING Derived from "Tinara" meaning "kangaroo".
CARAG CARAG Derived from "Carrak" meaning "magpie".
COLBINABBIN Meeting of the red and black soils
English poet, Richard Hengist "Orion" Horne, as Junior Assistant Gold Commissioner at Waranga goldfields, is credited with naming Rushworth in 1854, either because it was a "rush worth while", or perhaps, after travelling with Henry and Rose Rushworth, fellow passengers on the sailing ship "
Printed: 22/05/2013 11:10:14 PM