Take 10 for Echuca Library's 10th birthday celebrations
Published on 11 August 2022
A jam-packed schedule of activities is planned to celebrate Echuca Library’s 10th birthday at its Hare Street location.
The free community event will take place on Saturday, 27 August from 10am to 1pm and will showcase a range of interactive activities, with something for everyone.
Deputy Mayor Colleen Gates said the theme of the event is ‘Take 10’, encouraging young and the young-at-heart to take a moment and enjoy all the library has to offer.
“This milestone is an invitation to the community to slow down, celebrate and appreciate the rich resources of the Echuca Library.”
“The timely celebrations coincide with Children’s Book Week, making it double the fun with two award-winning children’s authors Mark Carthew and Kaye Baillie on hand for story-time with the little ones.”
“Children’s artwork all the way from Echuca’s friendship city Shiroi in Japan has made the journey to commemorate the occasion and is sure to be a delightful display.”
Among the list of highlights will be the Belonging Tree, an artfully constructed tree made from repurposed denim, crafted by the Recyclability Team at Community Living and Respite Services.
An interactive workshop using recycled denim, lead by Katrina Naish from A Fitting Connection, will show attendees how to make a tree working with this material. Denim donations are welcome from the community.
There will also be the chance to play the unique Federation Handbells, which were constructed for the centenary of Federation in 2001 and are on loan from Museums Victoria on behalf of Creative Victoria.
Bookings are not required, just come along!
Saturday, 27 August 2022 from 10am to 1pm
- Mark Carthew – Children’s author, poet and musician at 10.15am
- Storytime with Kaye Baillie – Award winning children’s author at 10.45am
- Birthday cake and cuppa at 11.15am
- Mark Carthew – Children’s author, poet and musician at 11.45am
A host of other activities will also take place including:
- The Belonging Tree - An interactive workshop using recycled denim facilitated by A Fitting Connection
- A lacemaking demonstration by Echuca Moama Lacemakers
- Learn to make a book art flower from pages of an old book
- A slideshow of highlights over the past 10 years
- A library treasure hunt