Maternal & child health services during COVID
With the return to Stage 3 Stay at Home restrictions from 11.59pm on Wednesday, 5 August , the Maternal and Child Health Service is returning to alternate models of service delivery.
Across the last few months, we have been guided by advice from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). From Thursday, 6 August, for a six week period, all MCH appointments will be conducted via telephone with visits for priority groups and young infants 0-8 weeks supplemented by a short face-to-face consultation.
We know it’s an anxious time for everyone, especially if you’ve just welcomed a new baby.
We have made some changes to how we work to minimise the risk of virus spread, but please know we are here for you and your family.
Changes due to COVID-19
- From Thursday, August, MCH has resumed telephone consultations for all scheduled Maternal and Child Health appointments.
- All telephone consults for infants from birth – 8 weeks and some priority groups will be supplemented by a short face-to-face consultation that will include a physical assessment, weight check and breastfeeding support.
- Families are encouraged to keep up to date with scheduled Key Age and Stage consultations including an initial home visit consultation, consultations at 2, 4 and 8 weeks; 4, 8, 12 and 18 months, 2 and 3.5 years.
- Face to face appointments will be limited to one parent/carer and their child unless in extenuating circumstances.
- For the safety of all, strict infection control and physical distancing rules will be in place at all times. Appointment times will be staggered to avoid contact between families.
- Parents/carers attending face to face appointments will be required to wear a face covering in line with Victorian recommendations – children under 12 years of age are not required to wear a face covering.
- MCH Nurses are required to wear a surgical mask and eye protection during face to face consultations in line with PPE requirements for Victorian healthcare workers.
- All clients with scheduled face to face appointments will be screened prior to their appointment and again on arrival to their appointment.
- Open sessions are currently suspended – please feel free to contact the Central Booking Number on 1300 644 964 with any concerns and we can arrange an appointment.
- First Time Parent Groups are currently being held online.
For the most current information, resources and advice please visit the Department of Health and Human Services website.
Download this fact sheet - Information for parents with infants and young children(PDF, 289KB) - from the Victorian Maternal and Child Health Services.
Visit the Raising Children website for more information about the coronavirus and children.