Under the Building Act 1993 and Building Regulations 2006, most building projects in Victoria require a building permit. That includes:
- constructing new buildings
- altering, making additions to or renovating buildings
- repairing buildings
- relocating or demolishing buildings
- erecting signs, masts, posts and similar items
- building retaining walls or site cuts
- altering essential services equipment in buildings.
Under the Act and the Regulations, buildings and building works must be maintained and kept safe for the public and the building occupants.
It’s a good idea to speak with council’s building services team on 5481 2200 before you start work on your project.