An event where large numbers of people gather increases the public safety risk and many require a POPE or TOP.

What is a Public Place of Entertainment (POPE)

A place of public entertainment (POPE) is a building or place where a public event or meeting is held. A POPE permit is required when:

  • the building where the event is being held is larger than 500m²
  • the place where the event is being held is larger than 500m² and is enclosed, mostly enclosed or an admission fee is charged.

You can access the POPE application form here.

What is a Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP)

A temporary occupancy permit (TOP) is an occupancy permit for temporary structures which are listed prescribed structures in the building regulations.

If you are planning a public meeting or event, we recommend you read our “Events Ready Reference Guide”, which includes information on planning and running a successful event, including all the Council approvals required.

You can access the TOP application form here.

Please remember to contact Building Services if you have any queries. They are happy to help.