7 December 2017 - Media release
Campaspe Shire Council endorsed a Draft Local Law Meeting Procedures at Tuesday’s council meeting, which is now available for public inspection and comment.
Mayor Cr Adrian Weston said the local law sets out council meeting procedures, the process for the election of the mayor and regulates the use of the common seal.
“The draft Local Law 1 guides the structure of meetings and has been updated to include a number of improvements consistent with council’s strategic outcomes of strong leadership, advocacy and good governance,” Cr Weston said.
“The local law aims to ensure open and transparent council meetings, details how council business is conducted and accountability in the decision making process.”
Some of the changes include:
- Procedures for the electronic delivery of council business papers
- A clearer process for requesting and recording leave of absences and apologies at meetings
- Clarification that council will only receive deputations/delegations for item/s that are listed on that meeting’s agenda
- A flowchart has been added to explain how motions and amendments are dealt with
- The clause on suspension of standing orders has been amended to ensure the suspension is used only for the purpose of further discussing the item, not debating it
- A new section has been added outlining the role, duties and discretions of the chair
- A new requirement has been added that a councillor wishing to move an alternate motion must advise the Chief Executive Officer prior to the meeting to allow the CEO to distribute the proposed alternate motion to all councillors
Council is required to prepare a Local Law Community Impact Statement in respect to any new local law. This was also presented at Tuesday’s council meeting.
Members of the public are invited to make submissions on the Draft Local Law 1. Written submissions must be received by 5pm on Thursday, 18 January 2018.
If required, council will consider public submissions at a Special Council Meeting on Tuesday, 23 January at the Echuca Civic Centre Function Room. Submitters may speak to their submission if they request this in advance.
Copies of the Draft Local Law 1 and Local Law Community Impact Statement are available for viewing on the council website by clicking here or in hard copy at any of council’s customer service centres at Echuca, Kyabram, Rochester, Rushworth and Tongala.