Are you a rural landowner? Would you like more indigenous plants on your property at a discounted price? Then consider the Campaspe Shire's Rural Tree Scheme, which gives rural ratepayers access to subsidised indigenous plants.
Who is eligible?
All rural ratepayers in the Campaspe Shire are eligible to purchase plants at a subsidised rate through this scheme. You must own property in the farm, rural living or rural conservation zone. If you are uncertain about which zone you live in, please contact the council on 1300 666 535.
The number of plants available is capped at:
- properties less than five hectares at 50 seedlings per rate notice
- properties greater than five hectares at 160 hyco seedlings per rate notice
The scheme is capped at three rate notices per owner.
You must also agree to plant and tend to all the seedlings you purchase. Council staff may arrange a site visit with you to ensure this is happening.
How do I order?
Orders for 2019 are now open.
You can order your indigenous plants from 1 July to 1 November every year. However, it is best to order early as council may close the scheme before November if demand is high.
Once the orders have been received, nurseries propagate the plants, which are available to ratepayers in either autumn or spring the following year.
You can download an order form here, pick one up at a council customer service centre or ask to have one posted to you.
Once you have completed the order form, eligible ratepayers must:
- return the form with payment. (Please keep your receipt)
- present the voucher you receive and species order form at the nominated nursery between 1 July and 1 November, for collection the following autumn or spring.
- plants must be collected within 12 months of making your payment.
What are my responsibilities?
By participating in the Rural Tree Scheme, you agree to plant and tend to the seedlings you receive. You are expected to:
- plan your project about a year before planting
- prepare the land properly before planting, including weed control
- provide ongoing maintenance.
Information and advice on site preparation and weed control is available from Council's Environmental Projects Officer.
What plant species can I purchase?
The plants available under the Rural Tree Scheme are listed on the order. Orders must be in multiples of 10 per species and plant availability may vary between nurseries.
If you would like help to select plants most suited to your property, ask the nursery, or speak with Council's Environmental Projects Officer.
Planting stock may be purchased in hyco trays. Hyco trays contain 40 individual plants per tray.
What nurseries are involved in the scheme?
McKindlay’s Riverine Nursery, Perricoota Road, Moama, 0408 641 222
Rochester Nursery, Northern Highway, Rochester, 5484 3777