The L2P Learner Driver Mentor program has been running out of Echuca since 2010. Driving is a very important skill for young people in Campaspe as it gives them easier access to training and job opportunities.
This state wide initiative, funded by the TAC and managed by VicRoads, helps young people across the municipality get the 120 hours driving experience they need to get their licence.
Who is eligible?
If you are:
- 16-21 years old
- hold a Victorian Learners Permit
- and don’t have access to a car and/or a driving mentor
you could be eligible to participate in the L2P Program.
How the program works
Eligible learner drivers are matched with a local volunteer supervising driver to get their required 120 hours of driving practice in a range of road conditions. Two vehicles are available, free of charge, for driving practice.
There is no charge for the L2P program but learner drivers need to pay for the driving test and licence.
How can I apply?
- Contact the L2P Project Coordinator, details below.
- The L2P Project Coordinator will arrange an informal interview with you to assess your eligibility, and discuss the program with you.
- If you join the program, you must complete an application form and sign a code of conduct.
Interested in becoming a volunteer mentor?
To become an L2P driving mentor, you need to be willing and available to give your time, support and advice to a young learner driver. You will also need to undergo a series of checks and training.
Becoming an L2P volunteer mentor
- Complete the L2P volunteer application form and return to the L2P Project Officer.
- The L2P Project Officer will contact you to arrange an interview to determine your suitability and tell you more about the program. You will need to provide two referees.
- If the interview is successful, the L2P Project Officer contact your referees.
- You will undergo a satisfactory police check, a working with children check and a driver history report.
- You will need to attend L2P training.
- Once you successfully complete the training the L2P Project Officer will contact you once a suitable match has been found.
- You will be provided with some information on the young person and given time to decide whether you agree to the match or not. Once you have accepted a young learner driver we will arrange an initial meeting.
For more information about the program please contact the L2P Project Coordinator:
L2P Project Coordinator: Glynis Kelly
Contact Number: 0417 382 872
Postal Address: PO Box 1174, Echuca 3564