Located at the heart of one of the richest and most diverse agriculture and food processing regions in Victoria, the Shire of Campaspe is a vibrant rural community in northern Victoria. It comprises of many townships including:
Campaspe is best known for its history and natural assets, including Australia’s iconic Murray River, which winds along the Shire’s northern boundary. The unique mix of great weather, culture, food and wine, natural beauty and events attracts growing numbers of people to Campaspe every year.
It is a thriving community, with many opportunities for growth and prosperity.
The Shire of Campaspe has:
- a growing labour force and low unemployment rate, reflecting a healthy economy
- a growing economy (reflected in the gross regional product) driven by agriculture, forestry, fishing, manufacturing, health and social assistance sectors
- a flourishing tourism industry, mainly due to the rising number of domestic visitors to the region.
- a shifting population, with some areas experiencing population growth and others experiencing a drop.
Strategic assets and competitiveness
A range of strategic assets supports the Shire of Campaspe economy:
- agricultural land
- manufacturing and processing
- modernised irrigation system
- natural river beauty
- Port of Echuca/Echuca Wharf
- tourism and event program
- significant indigenous history and culture
- great quality of life.
The Shire of Campaspe’s competitive strengths include:
- a strong and diverse agriculture sector
- a significant and complementary food manufacturing sector that has attracted global food companies
- established supply chain and access to export markets for the agricultural and food manufacturing sector
- available land to support industry growth and economic development
- a strong representation of professional businesses and services
- access to a wide variety of resources, road, rail and utilities infrastructure
- an engaged and proactive business community
- diverse accommodation, events, tourism assets and experiences.
The Shire of Campaspe also has a sought-after lifestyle, good amenity and strong representation of services that make it an attractive place to live, work, visit and play.
Go to - Economic Profile
Council uses a regional economic modelling program called REMPLAN to model the flow on effects of investment and job creation. REMPLAN can produce a number of different impact reports showing the flow on effects generated across industries in terms of employment, tourism, workforce and many other factors.
Go to - REMPLAN