Customer complaints

The customer complaint process has been developed with reference to the Ombudsman Victoria's Good Practice Guide to complaint handling for Victorian Public Sector Agencies and the Australian Standard. 

If you have a concern about the way we have provided a service, we encourage you to notify us so we can review the matter. While we aim to get it right the first time, we understand that things can sometimes go wrong. Your feedback assists us to improve our services to the community.

A dispute or complaint is defined as Council failing to respond to a request for service. We have a simple four step Dispute Resolution Process in place to ensure you have an opportunity to have your issue investigated.

It is important to note that this process relates to services provided by Council and does not cover decisions made by Council at formal Council meetings. If you have a complaint in respect of a councillor, please direct your concern to the Mayor. The Mayor will handle your complaint in accordance with the ‘Code of Conduct – Councillors’.

Download our Customer Complaint Process(PDF, 233KB) booklet.

When dealing with your dispute

  • We will treat it in confidence
  • We will not discriminate against anyone for any reason
  • If we have made a mistake, we will apologise and put right what has gone wrong as quickly as possible.
  • We will use information gathered to improve our services in the future.

Our guarantee

We will acknowledge all written complaints within ten working days. We will investigate and respond to all complaints within 28 working days except for complicated issues when we will advise you of when you can expect a response.

Lodging a complaint

Your complaint can be lodged online at link.

Once lodged, you will be provided with a request number. If at any time you would like more information about your request, please quote the request number.

What if I am still not satisfied?

We are confident the majority of complaints received can be resolved, however we recognise that we may not be able to satisfy every customer on every occasion.

If the complaint still remains unresolved you may wish to explore other avenues.

Victorian Ombudsman

The Ombudsman is an independent officer of the Victorian Parliament who investigates complaints about the state government departments, most statutory authorities and local government.

Phone:            03 9613 6222
Toll Free:        1800 806 314
Email:              [email protected]

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

The Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria can help you resolve a wide range of disputes without having to take legal action.

Phone:             03 5440 6100