Report & consent

You may require Council to report or consent to certain aspects of the Building Regulations before having a building permit issued. Consent generally relates to the siting and positioning of domestic buildings that do not meet the standard regulations, such as:

  • reducing the minimum frontage setback
  • exceeding maximum building heights
  • building over or near an easement, or
  • demolition work

The following accompanying documents must be submitted with your application form:

  • Copy of title
  • Floor and site plan - 2 copies
  • Drawing elevations
  • Prescribed fee
  • Explanation of why you require variation to the regulations. Please see the assessment criteria below for assistance.

If you have a Building Surveyor, it is most likely that they will be able to assist you with the application or apply on your behalf.

If your application involves building over or near an easement, you will need to obtain written consent from the authority that governs the easement and submit this with your application, for example Coliban Water or Goulburn Valley Water in respect of a water easement.

Step 1 - Once you are ready, you can complete and lodge the Report and Consent application form:

   Word version (interactive) PDF version 
Report and Consent application form  Download(DOCX, 53KB) Download(PDF, 116KB)

Step 2
- Download and complete the required regulations:

  Word version (interactive)  PDF version 
R73 - Assessment criteria - Maximum street setback  Download(DOCX, 52KB) Download(PDF, 157KB)
R74 - Assessment criteria - Minimum street setback Download(DOCX, 52KB) Download(PDF, 154KB)
R79 - Assessment criteria - Side and rear setbacks Download(DOCX, 52KB) Download(PDF, 193KB)
R80 - Assessment criteria - Walls and carport on boundaries Download(DOCX, 51KB) Download(PDF, 156KB)
R85 - Assessment criteria - Daylight to new habitable room windows Download(DOCX, 50KB) Download(PDF, 149KB)
R89 - Assessment criteria - Front fence height Download(DOCX, 51KB) Download(PDF, 154KB)
R153 - Assessment criteria - Report and consent for building in areas liable to flooding Download(DOCX, 50KB) Download(PDF, 150KB)