1. Overview

The rates you pay Council are based on the value of the property you own. They help pay for a broad range of services, programs, facilities and infrastructure across the whole shire, which are provided for the benefit of residents, businesses and visitors alike.


This section includes information on: 

2. Paying your rates 

Rate notices are usually forwarded to residents in August each year. If you do not receive your rate notice by early September, please contact Council ’s Revenue Unit on 1300 666 535, or 5481 2200. 

The rating year runs from 1 July - 30 June. You can either pay your rates in full by 15 February each year or pay in quarterly instalments. The instalment due dates are: 

  • 1st          30 September
  • 2nd         30 November
  • 3rd          28 February
  • 4th          31 May 

You may find it more convenient to pay your rates in four instalments, rather than making one single payment in full by 15 February each year. 

To pay by instalments, simply pay the first quarterly amount shown on the annual rate notice on or before 30 September each year. An instalment notice will then be sent 14 days prior to each instalment being due. 

To pay your rates online, click here.

Payment options 

Here’s how you can pay your rates: 

  • In person at any customer service centre;
  • Internet: www.campaspe.vic.gov.au;
  • By BPay / BPay View;
  • By credit card;
  • By the direct debit payment scheme;
  • In person at any post office. 

Two options are available for direct debit, fixed amount, or flexible amount. To apply for direct debit, please read the terms and conditions provided with the application form.

If you are experiencing difficulty in paying your rates, please advise Council as soon as possible, by completing this online application form.

3. Receive your rate notice via email

To receive your rate notice via email, please complete this online application form.

Please note that changes can not be made to rate notice delivery without your signed authorisation.

4. Changing ratepayer details

To change the address for your rate notice, or change details of the ratepayer, please complete this form - Change-of-address-or-ratepayer-details.pdf(PDF, 145KB)

5. Pensioner Assistance Scheme 

Pensioners with a Pensioner Concession Card from Centrelink or Veteran Affairs may be entitled to a reduction on their rates. If you are a pensioner and consider that you are eligible, please contact Council for an application form. 

If assistance has been approved in the past, you don’t need to submit another form. 

For further information please visit webpage or call the Revenue Unit on 1300 666 535, or 5481 2200. 

6. Municipal charge 

To cover some of the administrative costs of operating Council , each rateable property in Campaspe Shire is charged $200 a year. 

A ratepayer may apply to Council for exemption from payment if: 

  1. The exemption is claimed on farm land and
  2. The rateable land forms part of a single farm enterprise and
  3. An exemption is not claimed for at least one other rateable property which forms part of a single farm enterprise and
  4. In the case of a single farm enterprise which is occupied by more than one principle place of residence. 

You can apply for a single farm exemption by contacting the Rates Unit. The closing date for single farm exemption is 31 January each year. 

7. Waste charge 

Kerbside waste collection is one of the vital services provided by all local councils. View the Bin collection services webpage for details about waste, recycling, and food and garden organic services and charges.

The charges you pay fully fund the cost of providing all waste services including the operating costs of landfills and transfer stations across the shire. 

8. Fire services levy

From 1 July 2013, the Fire Services Levy was removed from insurance schemes. This is now collected through Council rates which means that all property owners contribute to funding Victoria's fire services, not just those with adequate insurance.

The levy includes a fixed charge as well as a variable component, which is calculated based on the type of property you own.

For more information, visit the State Revenue Office website.

9. Calculating your rates

Council’s rates are calculated using Capital Improved Value (CIV) , which is the total market value of the land plus buildings and other improvements.

Council has four rate bases:

  1. general rates
  2. farm rates
  3. industrial and commercial rates
  4. cultural and recreation rates.

The rate in the dollar for the 2020/21 year for Council ’s four rate bases is as follows:

General rate                         0.0042281
Farm                                     0.0038053
Commercial/Industrial           0.0049046

The rate in the dollar is determined by Council as part of its budget process for the forthcoming year. The formula for calculating general rates, excluding any additional charges or arrears, is:
General rates = Valuation x rate in the dollar

For example, the calculation for a property valued at $320,000 would be:

Capital Improved Value


Rate in the Dollar


General rates






More information about how rates are calculated in Victoria is available on the State Government's website.

10. Property valuations

Local councils in Victoria use property values as the basis of their rate collection. The rates paid by householders and businesses help fund the services Council provides for the local community. 

Because property values change, Council is required to carry out a general revaluation on all properties every year under the supervision of the Victorian Valuer General. Assessing the value of all properties is on the same date. For the 2020/2021 valuations that date is 1 January 2020. 

Only qualified valuers, with recognised tertiary qualifications and relevant experience, perform municipal valuations. They operate under the highest professional standards and ethics. For example, all valuers must declare impartiality before undertaking valuations and undertake to perform all valuations to the best of their ability and judgement. 

Supplementary valuations 

In certain circumstances, valuations must be performed between general valuations. These are known as supplementary valuations. 

For example, they are required when properties are: 

  • physically changed (eg when buildings are altered, erected or demolished)
  • amalgamated
  • subdivided
  • portions sold off
  • rezoned
  • affected by road construction.  

11. Objecting to a valuation

You may object to a valuation. The objection can be made in relation to the value of a property or on other grounds specified in the Valuation of Land Act, Division 3. To lodge an objection, you must: 

After receiving an objection, a valuer must discuss the matter with the objector, then make a decision within two months of the objection. If not satisfied with the decision, the objector may appeal to the Victorian Civil & Administrative Tribunal (VCAT), or to the Supreme Court. 

If you object to a valuation, you still must pay rates on the original notice by the due date 15 February. Failure to pay rates by the required date results in interest being imposed. Once the appeals process is complete, the rate notice will be adjusted to reflect any changes and any overpaid amounts will be credited on the new rate notice.

For further assistance, contact Council’s Rate Unit on 5480 2200.