Weeds & pests


The Victorian Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning manages noxious weeds, but landowners also have responsibilities in managing this issue. 

What makes a plant a weed is determined under the Catchment and Land Protection (CaLP) Act 1994. The Catchment Management Authorities make recommendations about weeds for each region. 

To find out more about Victoria’s noxious weeds and your responsibilities, please visit the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website. You can read more about weeds in the Goulburn Broken through the Goulburn Broken Catchment Management Authority website. 

Fruit fly

One of more than 200 species of fruit fly found in Australia, the Queensland Fruit Fly, is causing devastation with fruit trees and crops across the Goulburn Murray Valley. The spread of fruit fly poses a serious threat to the region's horticulture industry. A range of fruit and vegetables are at risk of infestation, including stone fruit, tomatoes, berry fruits, cherries, citrus and grapes.

The problem tends to worsen as the weather warms in late August, when hungry insects emerge from hibernation. Flies lay eggs under the skin of ripening fruit, maggots hatch and feed, spoiling the fruit, causing it to rot and drop.

Home gardeners and producers should treat fruit fly on their property through a range of management methods. It is important to implement control measures such as setting traps, baiting, spraying and using netting to provide a barrier. The removal of fruit trees should be considered if you have unwanted trees. The free Urban Fruit Tree Removal Program is available to Campaspe Shire residents. Trees are removed and disposed of at no cost to the property owner as part of the program. For more information visit the Goulburn Murray Valley Regional Fruit Fly website.


If you have a beehive on your property, you can have it removed by a registered apiarist. You can search online for an apiarist near you, or check the Yellow Pages. 

Council does not treat bee hives on private property.

Wasp nests

If you find a wasp nest on your property, hire a licensed pest controller to treat the nest. If you feel confident to treat the nest yourself there are a number of products available through hardware stores. DO NOT treat the nest yourself if you are allergic to wasp or bee stings. Council does not treat or remove wasp nests.


While possums are native animals, they may move into the roof of your home, which can be quite bothersome. You can trap them humanely, but only to remove them from the roof. They must be released on the same property within 50 metres of the capture site. Licensed wildlife controllers are authorised to trap possums, (see Yellow Pages under pest control) but they won’t relocate them.

For more information, go to the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning website.

Corellas / Cockatoos

Long-billed corellas, sulphur-crested cockatoos and galahs can damage cereal crops, roost trees, tree seedlings, soft timber on houses and outdoor furniture, bowling greens, ovals and golf courses.

Council's policy Bird management in urban areas(PDF, 158KB) clarifies who is responsible for controlling cockatoos.