Rural tree scheme
Are you a rural landowner? Would you like more indigenous plants on your property at a discounted price? Then consider the Campaspe Shire's Rural Tree Scheme, which gives rural ratepayers access to subsidised indigenous plants.
Orders are now open.
Who is eligible?
All rural ratepayers in the Campaspe Shire are eligible to purchase plants at a subsidised rate through this scheme. You must own property in the farm, rural living or rural conservation zone. If you are uncertain about which zone you live in, please contact Council on 1300 666 535.
The number of plants available is capped at:
- properties less than five hectares at 50 seedlings per rate notice
- properties greater than five hectares at 160 seedlings per rate notice
The scheme is capped at three rate notices per owner.
You must also agree to plant and tend to all the seedlings you purchase. Council staff may arrange a site visit with you to ensure this is happening.
How do I order?
Once the orders have been received, nurseries propagate the plants, which are available to ratepayers in autumn the following year.
Download the application form(PDF, 278KB).
Once you have completed the order form, eligible ratepayers must:
- Return the form with payment by email or in person at any Service Centre. If you email your application form, a member of our Customer Service Team will call you back to take payment over the phone and will email your receipt. Please keep your receipt.
- Present the voucher you receive and species order form at the nominated nursery, for collection the following autumn.
- Plants must be collected by 20 June or before the end of the financial year.
What are my responsibilities?
By participating in the Rural Tree Scheme, you agree to plant and tend to the seedlings you receive. You are expected to:
- plan your project about a year before planting
- prepare the land properly before planting, including weed control
- provide ongoing maintenance.
Information and advice on site preparation and weed control is available from Council's Environmental Projects Officer.
What plant species can I purchase?
The plants available under the Rural Tree Scheme are listed on the order. Orders must be in multiples of 10 per species and plant availability may vary between nurseries.
If you would like help to select plants most suited to your property, ask the nursery, or speak with Council's Environmental Projects Officer.
What nurseries are involved in the scheme?
McKindlay’s Riverine Nursery, 1323 Perricoota Road, Moama, 0408 641 222
Rochester Nursery, Northern Highway, Rochester, 5484 3777