Event planning & permits

Whether planning a conference, market, festival or sporting carnival, Campaspe boasts a variety of venue types and amenities to suit your needs, making it the ideal location for your next event.

In this section, you will find helpful information on: 

Planning your event

Each year across the shire, local community groups and organisations choose to hold their events in our municipality. Approximately 100 small to large scale events are held in Campaspe annually. These events are held on public land, Council reserves, parks, private venues and even in car parks! 

When planning your event, it’s important to understand your obligations and whether you will need a licence, permit or Council approval before you can go ahead. 

The sorts of festivals and events held in Campaspe include:

  • sporting events
  • weddings
  • fun runs
  • markets
  • outdoor concerts
  • on-road events
  • art & community festivals
  • fund raising events

To help in promoting your event, step through the Promotional Opportunities(PDF, 584KB) booklet which will help you navigate various publicity and event listings.

Where should I hold my event?

Campaspe Shire, with its magnificent backdrop of the majestic Murray River, has a rich history which is today shaped with modern event facilities. From venues hosting banquets for 500 to intimate board rooms and first-class sporting facilities, the shire has a vast range of amenities to suit your needs. 

Download the Echuca Moama Events Planner(PDF, 6MB) to find a venue to suit your event. 

Many public places can also be used for an event:

  • Parks & playgrounds
  • Public halls
  • Recreation reserves & stadiums 

Do I need a permit for my event?

You will need to apply for an events permit from Council if your event fits any of the following criteria: 

  • It will be held on public land, or publicly owned land, facilities or venues.
  • It will significantly impact a road or footpath (Will it require road closures or detours? Will it cause traffic disturbances or parking problems?).
  • It requires a planning permit. Note: before holding an event, you must have confirmation in writing that a planning permit is NOT required or you must have a valid planning permit for the event.
  • It will disturb regular Council activities or significantly impact traders or residents.
  • It requires any large infrastructure ie staging exceeding 150m2, marquees greater than 100m2 etc, or seating for more than 20 people. This requires a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) and Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP) from Council’s Municipal Building Surveyor. You can find more information on our Occupancy permits for events webpage.
  • It will be held in a place for entertainment that is more than 500m2 and is enclosed or substantially enclosed and an admission fee is charged. You can find more information on our Occupancy permits for events webpage. 

It’s a good idea to speak with Council at least six months before your event. If you expect more than 500 people to attend, there may be a lot of regulations that need to be addressed.

Be organised! Make sure you know:

  • proposed event times and date
  • location
  • infrastructure needs (Will you need access to power, water, waste management? Will you need to erect marquees or other structures?) 

Clearly understanding your activities and how they will impact the local community will make working with Council to hold a successful event a lot simpler. Council may also be able to help you develop relationships or partnerships with the local business community and other organisations. 

Event applications must be submitted at least 3 months prior to the date of your event.

Online application form

When completing this application you will require the following documents to be uploaded:

An example of the online event application form is available here(PDF, 87KB) to help you prepare information for your application.

Your application can be saved as you progress it, and submitted when completed. Please note, some sections of the form will be skipped if you respond 'no'. For example, if your event does not plan to sell food or beverages, all questions will be skipped.

If you have any questions while completing your application, please contact our Event Support Officer on 1300 666 535.

How to create an accessible event

Events that are accessible for all will be more successful with higher participation and attendance rates. Download our Guide to creating an accessible event(PDF, 348KB)  to help in planning an event that is accessible to all.

The guide is primarily focused on improving accessibility to events for Campaspe residents who have a disability.

An accessible portable toilet is available for hire to support events, through Northern Hire Group 5482 6262. The toilet is wheelchair, walker and pram accessible.

How to create a waste wise event

As part of Council's commitment to environmental sustainability, all events held on Council owned or managed land are required to meet a minimum Star 1 Waste Wise rating. Events that are Waste Wise support recycling and minimise waste sent to landfill.

1 star rating - The minimum requirement that ensures events offer effective recycling facilities and maintain a litter-free environment.

2 star rating - Requires events to achieve recycling and contamination targets, work to reduce food and packaging waste while eliminating two single-use plastic items.

3 star rating - In addition to achieving recycling and contamination targets, events also must provide free water refills, separate organic waste collection and eliminate all single-use plastic items.

Waste Wise Events Guide(PDF, 2MB)

Appendix A - Waste Wise Event Plan(PDF, 269KB)

Appendix B - Coliban Water portable water station request form(PDF, 29KB)

Appendix C - Goulburn Valley Water sponsorship form(PDF, 115KB)

Appendix D - Event online application form

How to order event equipment

Event equipment can be borrowed by organisers to help enhance the event site, whether it be for general appeal, or COVID compliance.

Items available include:

  • Bike racks
  • Temporary fencing
  • Bunting
  • Tally counters
  • Branded marquee
  • Portable speaker
  • Synthetic grass
  • Cordless headsets

All items have a dollar value and are treated as in-kind support.

Please note:

If an event application IS required to be completed for your event, items can be ordered through that application form. 

If an event application IS NOT required to be completed for your event, complete this online form to request the equipment needed.

An example of the equipment only form is available here(PDF, 67KB) to help you prepare for your application.

If you have questions, or need support with your application, please speak with our Event Support Officer by calling 5481 2200.


For more information: Contact Council's Events Support Officer on 5481 2200 or 1300 666 535.