You will need to apply for an events permit from Council if your event fits any of the following criteria:
- It will be held on public land, or publicly owned land, facilities or venues.
- It will significantly impact a road or footpath (Will it require road closures or detours? Will it cause traffic disturbances or parking problems?).
- It requires a planning permit. Note: before holding an event, you must have confirmation in writing that a planning permit is NOT required or you must have a valid planning permit for the event.
- It will disturb regular Council activities or significantly impact traders or residents.
- It requires any large infrastructure ie staging exceeding 150m2, marquees greater than 100m2 etc, or seating for more than 20 people. This requires a Place of Public Entertainment (POPE) and Temporary Occupancy Permit (TOP) from Council’s Municipal Building Surveyor. You can find more information on our Occupancy permits for events webpage.
- It will be held in a place for entertainment that is more than 500m2 and is enclosed or substantially enclosed and an admission fee is charged. You can find more information on our Occupancy permits for events webpage.
It’s a good idea to speak with Council at least six months before your event. If you expect more than 500 people to attend, there may be a lot of regulations that need to be addressed.
Be organised! Make sure you know:
- proposed event times and date
- infrastructure needs (Will you need access to power, water, waste management? Will you need to erect marquees or other structures?)
Clearly understanding your activities and how they will impact the local community will make working with Council to hold a successful event a lot simpler. Council may also be able to help you develop relationships or partnerships with the local business community and other organisations.
When ready, start your online application form.
Online application form
When completing this application you will require the following documents to be uploaded:
Your application can be saved as you progress it, and submitted when completed.
You can review a pdf of the full application form here(PDF, 7MB), to help you prepare material in advance. Please note, some sections of the form will be skipped if you respond 'no'. For example, if your event does not plan to sell food or beverages, all questions will be skipped.
If you have any questions while completing your application, please contact our Event Support Officer on 1300 666 535.