In Victoria, the property owner is responsible for providing and looking after their driveway and crossing to an acceptable standard. However, if you want to install a driveway and crossing, you will need Council approval.

A permit is required for any works being completed in the road reserve, including installing or altering a new crossover (driveway), footpath or kerb. All works must meet Council’s design requirements. 

What is a driveway crossing?

A driveway crossing is the section of the driveway at the property’s front boundary. It includes the kerb and channel. 

When is a permit needed?

A permit is needed when:

  • there is no driveway and you want to build one
  • the existing driveway does not suit your needs and you want to build a new one or change the existing driveway crossing.

Refer to our Works within a road reserve webpage for permit information.

Can I remove an unused driveway crossing?

When building a new house on a block, the driveway crossing provided may be on the wrong side of the property. You can build another one, at your cost, but the old one will have to be removed and the kerb replaced. Extra or unused driveway crossings make street cleaning and maintenance difficult. Generally, only one driveway per property is allowed. 

How long is a permit valid for?

When a permit is issued, it will state how long the permit is valid for, and any special conditions. 

Do I need driveway crossing approval for a new house or building?

If Council has approved a Building and / or Planning Permit for your new house or office, it does not mean that approval is also given for the driveway and crossing shown on your plans. You will need separate approval, please contact Council on 1300 666 535 for more information.