Council is responsible for managing and maintaining roadside and township drains, with the exception of the declared main roads, which are looked after by Rural Roads Victoria (formerly VicRoads).

Council is generally responsible for road and easement drainage issues. Exceptions include:

  • drainage pipes at property entrances
  • prescribed rural drainage schemes (ie community drains)
  • roof/property drainage to a legal point of discharge.

These are the property owner’s responsibility.

Keeping driveway culverts clear is also the property owner’s responsibility, however they are checked during Council’s routine maintenance.

In urban areas, drainage pits are inspected annually to identify blockages. They are also cleaned regularly. Council uses its street sweeper to ensure pits are clear. If a potentially major problem is identified, pipes between pits are checked for blockages.

Major open drains are sprayed for weeds annually.

In rural areas, culverts are checked annually, but entrance culverts are the landowner’s responsibility.

Urban drains

Council manages and maintains storm water drains in the shire’s urban areas. These drains must be clear of all debris to protect the community during heavy rainfall and help keep our river systems healthy.

You can help maintain these drains by:

  • washing your car on the lawn
  • preventing leaves and debris from entering the storm water drainage system
  • reporting any blockages or potential blockages to Council by lodging a service request.

Drainage pumps

The terrain throughout the shire is largely flat so our stormwater drainage systems requires pumping.

Most urban areas in Campaspe have drainage pumping systems which are regularly inspected and maintained.

Drainage issues

If you are aware of any significant drainage issues, please lodge a service request:

  • Online at link
  • By calling Council on 1300 666 535
  • In person at one of our customer service centres.