There are many laws or rules that we are required to follow in life. Their purpose is usually to protect us and to protect our rights.
A local government, like Campaspe Shire Council, can make local laws to protect public health, safety, or amenity in a municipality. They are designed to support community wellbeing and to ensure any person or group’s actions don’t negatively affect the rest of us.
Council adopts, oversees and enforces local laws. Local laws can’t duplicate or contradict a Victorian or Australian Government law.
Council has made the following local laws, which apply to Campaspe:
Use of common seal
Local Law No 1 regulates the use and prohibit unauthorised use of the common seal. The common seal is the equivalent to the organisation's signature.
Download the Local Law Common Seal(PDF, 445KB).
Local Law No 6 relates to Council's library services.
This law aims to:
- ensure the community receives high quality library services
- regulate library services management.
Download the (PDF, 64KB)Local Law Library(PDF, 64KB).
Local Law No 8 aims to provide for:
- peace, order and good governance for the municipality
- a safe and healthy environment so the community can enjoy a quality of life that meets its expectations
- the safe and equitable use and enjoyment of public and municipal places
- the protection and enhancement of the amenity and environment of the municipality
- the fair and reasonable use and enjoyment of private land
- the uniform and fair administration of the Local Law.
Download the Local Law General(PDF, 4MB).
Codes of practice and schedules, can be downloaded:
Code of practice Building and Works.pdf(PDF, 145KB)
Code of practice Livestock.pdf(PDF, 87KB)
Code of practice Trading.pdf(PDF, 137KB)
Code of practice Waste recycling and green organics.pdf(PDF, 82KB)
Schedules Alcohol restriction zone.pdf(PDF, 2MB)
Guidelines, can be downloaded:
Public Spaces Trading Guidelines(PDF, 8MB)