Adjoining property details

Fencing requirements are regulated by the Fences Act 1968. The Act contains rules about who pays for a dividing fence, the type of fence to be built, notices that neighbours need to give to each other, and how to resolve disputes that come up.

Fencing between neighbours

Usually the cost of the fence is divided equally between the adjoining neighbours. A Notice to Fence is a document that can be issued by you or a fencing contractor to your neighbour asking them to share the cost or repairs of fencing.

If you are having difficulty resolving a dispute over fencing with another property owner, please contact Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria on 5440 6100 or 1300 372 888.

What if I don't know my neighbours?

Council may be able to provide details for neighbouring properties if you can't find the owner (ie if the land next to you is vacant) and you need to send your neighbour a fencing notice. The information must not be retained, copied or distributed for unrelated purposes and must be kept secure at all times.

Please complete the request for adjoining property owner details application form below. You may save your form, and submit it once completed.

Adjoining property details application form