Nature strips

nish street.PNG

A well-kept nature strip makes your property and the street you live on more attractive. Nature strips are the stretch of land between your property and the road. In the Shire of Campaspe, as in other municipalities, Council owns the nature strip, but it is up to residents to maintain them.

It is your responsibility to:

  • weed the nature strip
  • mow it regularly
  • pick up rubbish.

Residents can make application to develop a nature strip garden, as outlined in Policy 108 - Naturestrip plantings & garden beds in urban areas(PDF, 393KB) . A plan of the proposed works is required to be submitted with a Works-within-road-reserve-minor-works(PDF, 215KB) application form. This process ensures existing services are not affected by works and appropriate insurances are in place.

Trees in public places 

Council arborists carry out safety inspections of trees in areas deemed higher risk such as around parks and buildings and along roadsides. Rural Roads Victoria (formerly VicRoads) inspects some of the major roads.

You can contact us to request an inspection on roadsides and Council land.

Trees that pose an immediate risk to public safety are the highest priority and are inspected immediately or within 24 hours. Other less urgent requests are assessed within 7 days.

Following inspection, trees may need to be removed or pruned. Some may not require any work.

We also rely on your eyes.

What can you do?

Please contact Council if you are concerned about a tree, for example if you notice:

  • Broken branches which are likely to fall on to the road, footpath or driveway.
  • Trees which are suddenly leaning, have recent cracks in the soil or have roots coming out of the ground.
  • Trees with recent cracks and splits through the trunk.
  • Fallen trees on public land.

If you notice any sudden changes or deterioration in a tree’s condition, please report it:

  • Online at link
  • By calling on 1300 666 535
  • In person at one of our customer service centres.

Trees on private property

You need to manage trees on your own land. You need to ensure trees and plants do not obstruct access to pedestrians using the footpath, block street lighting or obscure the view to road and footpath users, as outlined in Council's General Local Law(PDF, 20MB)

Removing trees on private property

If you want to remove native vegetation, including trees, shrubs and grasses, you may need a permit from council. Penalties apply for removing native vegetation without a permit. Make sure you know if a permit is needed before you start removing any native vegetation.

Further information is available on our Native vegetation removal page.

Trees on neighbours properties

Talk to your neighbours first if you are concerned about a tree on their property.

You have the right to prune an overhanging tree to the boundary fence line. You do not have the right to enter their property without permission.

More information on your rights and responsibilities is available from the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria website.

Report a maintenance issue

To report a maintenance issue with a tree, in a township or rural area, please report:

  • Online for township area at link
  • Online for rural area at link
  • By calling 1300 666 535
  • In person at one of our customer service centres