Applying for a building permit

1. Overview 

Most building work requires a permit before you can begin construction. 

Note: Council does not currently offer building permit applications. You will need to arrange a private building surveyor to issue permits at this time.

If you are using a builder, architect or draftsperson, they will often get the permit on your behalf.

If you are an owner-builder (ie someone who assumes most of the responsibility for building on their own land) this is likely to be one of the responsibilities, you take on. Refer to our being an owner builder webpage for more information. 

You may also need a planning permit to do building works. In those cases, you need to get the planning permit before the building permit. You can get advice on planning permits by contacting Council’s Planning Unit on 5481 2200 or referring to the applying for a planning permit of this website.

2. Pre-application

Our building staff can help you with advice before you start the permit process.

3. Lodging an application

Note: Council does not currently offer building permit applications. You will need to arrange a private building surveyor to issue permits at this time.

Before lodging your application with any buidling surveyor, use this checklist to ensure you have included all the necessary documents and details.

Once you’re ready to lodge the permit application make sure you include:

  1. Building permit application form (form 1), signed and completed
  2. Copy of title showing current ownership including title allotment plan
  3. Certificate for domestic contracts insurance or an owner builder consent certificate from the building practitioners board, for any domestic building works where the cost of the proposed works will exceed $12,000.
  4. 3 copies of a soil investigation report are required for all buildings, including dwellings and dwelling additions. Not needed for sheds, carports, steel garages or other light structured buildings.
  5. 3 copies of design drawings which shall include:
  • site plan drawn to scale of not less than 1:500 showing siting of a proposed building on the allotment and location in relation to other buildings on the same and/or adjoining allotments, and building perimeter, floor and related site levels.
  • the location and depth of any excavation and/or filling and the means of retention must be accurately shown.
  • proposed downpipes and storm water drainage lines — the discharge point must be shown.
  • the position of the allotment in relation to the nearest intersecting street, street names and north point.
  • floor plans showing — overall and internal dimensions, thickness and composition of walls, use of rooms and fittings, sizes and type of windows and doors.
  • plans for additions and/or alterations must be coloured to clearly designate the proposed works. (scale 1:100)
  • elevations including sectional elevations (scale 1:100)
  • sections indicating footing type and size, structural details (minimum scale 1:100)
  • specifications indicating materials to be used, framing schedule, stress grading, relevant a.s. codes, etc.
  • applications will only be processed after fees have been paid and a receipt issued.

You may need to hire a professional building design draftsperson to develop the required design drawings, given the complexity. The plans and drawings must be done well and drawn to scale. Colour should be used to differentiate between existing and new parts of building works.

Estimating the cost

When you complete your permit application, you will need to state the cost. That’s because some of the criteria for assessing buildings and building works are based on the cost estimate or the contract price.

The cost you list must include the true or market cost of labour and materials involved in the construction. You must include the cost of your own labour, floor slabs, drainage, electrical, plumbing, fit-out etc.

Sometimes it is easier for owner builders to base cost estimates on the retail or market prices of buildings of similar size and construction. 

4. Deciding an application

Once your building permit has been issued, you may need to arrange a building inspection to ensure the work done meets regulations. 

You must also provide the approved, stamped plans and documents on site on the day of inspection.

You must have a building inspection for the following works:

  • concrete slab - pre slab, steel reinforcing
  • strip footings
  • stump holes & pad-holes
  • frame - including sub-floor if applicable
  • final - when all building works are completed you will be required to call for a final inspection.

Your building permit will indicate what inspections are required.

Occupancy certificate

If you are constructing a new building, you will probably need an occupancy permit, before anyone starts using the new building. All new buildings require this permit except:

  • outbuildings
  • swimming pool
  • dwelling additions.

If the owner and/or occupier of the building don’t get the required occupancy permit, they could face hefty fines.

Council will not supply rubbish, recycling or garden organics bins if an occupancy permit has not been issued.

Certificate of final inspection

When a final inspection has been approved for buildings (other than those that require an occupancy permit) The building surveyor will issue a certificate of final inspection to the owner after the building has been inspected.

5. Making changes to your permit

You may find after you start your approved building work that you want to, or need to, make alterations to the original plans.

In some cases, you may need to apply for a new building permit altogether. 

Extending a permit

Extending the time of your building permit may be required to complete your project. We recommend you speak with Building Services before you complete your application.

Cancelling your permit

If you decide against going through with your building project, you can cancel your application for a permit. To do so, you must write to the Municipal Building Surveyor, Campaspe Shire Council.

You will only be refunded your application fee if you:

  • cancel the application BEFORE the permit application has been assessed, and
  • the building permit has not lapsed.

Building permits lapse after 12 months, if no building works have started.  Permits for domestic works lapse after 24 months if work has not been completed.

6. Lodgement by private building surveyor

Private Building Surveyors are able to lodge required Section 80 and Section 30 documents via: