Animals & pets

Animals and pets

Owning a pet can be a wonderful experience, enhancing your health, wellbeing and happiness.

We encourage responsible pet ownership which is in the best interests of the pet, the owner and the community. That’s why there are a number of rules about:

  • dogs and cats
  • animals kept in Campaspe’s townships
  • Campaspe’s pound and pet adoptions 

Dog and cat registrations

Here are the rules about dog and cat ownership in Campaspe Shire Council:

  • You can’t have more than two dogs and two cats on any one property unless you have a permit to keep more.
  • Dogs and cats aged 12 weeks and older must be registered with Council.  
  • If you’re in control of a dog in a public place, you must pick up its dog poo! You must also have something you can pick it up with when out with a dog. If you fail to do so, you could be fined. 


Dogs and cats in the Campaspe Shire Council must be registered with us. Registration renewal is due by 10 April each year. Pet owners whose cats and dogs are registered in Campaspe will receive a registration pack in March. You can also download an animal registration application(PDF, 2MB) here or pick one up from a customer service centre.

There are a number of fee levels including:

  • full fee
  • full fee with Pensioner Concession Card
  • reduced fee
  • reduced fee with Pensioner Concession Card

Registration fees

Fee Dog Cat
Full fee $150 $150
Full fee - pensioner   $75   $75
Reduced fee $50 $50
Reduced fee - pensioner $25 $25








Important notice - Any puppy or kitten to be registered, or any dog or cat being moved into Campaspe Shire (as a new registration) must be microchipped before Council can accept registration.

If an animal is sterilised, owners will need to supply a copy of the certificate. The certificate needs to be signed by the vet and include the animal's microchip number. 

Payment Plans

You may apply for a payment plan to pay this notice under Section 46 of the Infringements Act 2006. The application must be in writing and made before the infringement is lodged with Fines Victoria for collection. Note: payment plans can be applied for or will be offered for a period up to six months in length.

Changing registration details

If you move house, change your telephone number, please advise Council of your details by completing a change of owners details(DOCX, 33KB) form.

If the details of the owner of the animal changes, you must complete a change of ownership(DOCX, 31KB) form.

If you move to our shire and your animal is already registered, you need to complete an animal registration application(PDF, 2MB).

If your animal has died, you can advise Council by:

  • Online at link
  • By calling on 1300 666 535
  • In person at one of our customer service centres

Does my dog need to be on a lead?

There are specific areas in our shire where your dog/s must be on a lead. This includes all residential areas and central business districts.

There are also specific off-lead areas where you can exercise your dog/s without a lead. However, you must still be able to control the dog by calling its name or making a similar command.

Download this information sheet(PDF, 186KB) about restrictions that apply to dogs in public reserves.

Barking dogs

Dogs are an important part of our community, but dogs that bark excessively can become a nuisance and create friction between neighbours and others using the local environment.

The first step is to speak with your neighbour to attempt to resolve the matter in a neighbourly manner.

Download our information booklet Barking dogs in your neighbourhood(PDF, 1006KB) to find out what steps you can take and what steps Council can take. The booklet also includes templates for you to use in lodging your complaint.

Dangerous and stray dogs

If you have a dangerous dog:

  • it must wear bright a collar that is visible at night
  • it must be housed in an enclosure that is both dog and child-proof.

If you see a stray dog, please contact Council during business hours on 1300 666 535.

To report a stray dog out of business hours, you can still lodge a service request by calling 1300 666 535. Follow the prompts to speak with the ranger on call. 

Keeping animals in townships

If you live in one of Campaspe’s townships, you can keep up to four different types of animals on the property, whether you own the property or are renting it. If you want to keep more, you must apply for a permit to Keep-additional-animals(DOCX, 44KB) from Council.

There are also limits to the number of each different type of animal you can keep in a residential area, as outlined below: 

Type of animal  Maximum allowed 
Dogs   2
Cats   2
Fowls, ducks  8 fowls or 2 ducks
Turkeys, geese  Not allowed (unless by permit)
Pigs   Not allowed
Horse, donkeys, camels,
cattle, sheep, goats 
 Not allowed
Ferrets  Not allowed, unless block is larger then 2 hectares
Guinea pigs   6
Domestic birds  6
Roosters  Not allowed (unless by permit)
Pigeons   50
Domestic rabbits   10


The Domestic Animal Management Plan(PDF, 1MB) is a great source for supporting and promoting responsible pet ownership and community safety, combined with active and healthy lifestyles.

Campaspe Animal Shelter

For information about the animal shelter, dogs and cats that have been lost or available for adoption, view our Campaspe Animal Shelter webpage.