Outdoor pools to open early this year
Published on 14 October 2020
A staggered opening of Campaspe Shire Council’s seven outdoor pools will start from Friday, 23 October, three weeks ahead of the traditional outdoor pool opening.
Chief Executive Officer, Declan Moore said the roll out of early openings is in response to COVID-19 restrictions impacting the reopening of the Echuca War Memorial Aquatic Centre (EWMAC).
“Being an indoor facility, EWMAC is unable to reopen to the community until the final steps of the State Government’s roadmap to reopening have been announced,” Mr Moore said.
But the Victorian Government announced the easing of restrictions starting 17 September that permits outdoor pools to reopen.
“Opening outdoor pools early will provide an opportunity for local residents, swim clubs and visitors to enjoy aquatic exercise,” Mr Moore said.
Restrictions will be in place in line with State Government requirements and Council’s COVID Safe Plan. These include:
- Exercise only
- Toilets and change rooms can open
- Maximum of 50 participants for each pool with no gathering on the pool deck or grounds surrounding the pool
- Physical distancing of 1.5m when out of the water
- Face masks must be worn by staff at all times and patrons when not participating in exercise
- Practising of good hygiene with high touch areas cleaned regularly
- Entry cards for users
- Staff restricted to single venues (not working across multiple sites)
- Walk in patrons permitted, booked spaces are not required
“A three phase approach to the early opening of Council’s outdoor pools will allow for the preparation of pools and staffing ahead of time,” Mr Moore said.
Kyabram and Rochester pools will be the first to open on Friday, 23 October as they are the largest pools with the highest usage.
Lockington and Stanhope pools will open on Friday, 6 November, followed by Colbinabbin, Rushworth and Tongala on Friday, 20 November.
“Staff are now busy preparing the pools and grounds for the early opening,” Mr Moore said.
All outdoor pools will operate on the existing opening hours and the minimum temperature requirements for opening remain in place.
For more information on Council’s outdoor pool venues, times and admission costs, visit the Campaspe Aquatics website www.campaspeaquatics.com.au .