20 March, 2019 - Media release
A major redevelopment of Victoria Park and Scenic Drive is one step closer with the adoption a master plan for the precinct.
Campaspe Shire Council Mayor, Cr Adrian Weston said the plan will steer the redevelopment of the recreation precinct which will be a substantial upgrade for local users and tourists.
As part of the $8m project, the redevelopment will include:
- Upgraded road networks including a new entrance to the precinct
- Improved access and parking for Victoria Park and the boat ramp
- Upgraded pedestrian and cycling networks throughout the site
- Redevelopment of the Rose Garden and the boat ramp area
- A new toilet block at the boat ramp site
- The development of a new multi-use pavilion for all users
- Oval surface redevelopment with improved drainage
- Opportunities for the use of the former Echuca High School site
- Changes to the site management
In addition, the master plan accommodates the relocation of six lawn tennis courts due to the position of the new Echuca Moama Bridge. The Echuca Lawn Tennis Club requested an alternate site for the relocated courts, and following a detailed 12 month investigation, council and the club has now identified the location originally chosen as the most suitable.
“The area will not only become a major sporting precinct, but also a place for people to be active through cycling, walking and recreational activities,” Cr Weston said.
“As a major access point to launch boats into the Murray River system, the upgrades will be a vast improvement for locals and visitors going fishing or engaging in water sports.”
“It’s exciting that the project can now progress and staff will work on an action plan to develop the initiatives outlined.”
A combined funding approach is crucial with financial support required from the federal and state governments, along with council and the community. With the upcoming federal election, this project is one of council’s five key priorities to secure funding for.
The master plan is available on council’s website.